Friday, February 09, 2007

An Open (and short) letter...

Senator Carl Kruger
The State House
Albany, NY

Dear Senator Kruger:

I read with interest you proposal to lay a $100 fine on persons tuning out the world with loud music when entering crosswalks, and I have to say, I agree with you wholeheartedly! While I don't live in New York, I visit New York City on occasion and it's blatantly obvious that people are tuning out the world around them by playing music loud enough to drown out all outside sounds, and it needs to be stopped - particularly with those loud subwoofers booming out and the windows closed! I mean, how can they possibly be aware of any...

...I'm sorry...?

What...?

Your bill is intended to fine pedestrians wearing headphones in crosswalks...?

...Because they're dangerous to themselves by crossing the streets without being aware of vehicles, and so on...

Hunh...

Well, it's an interesting approach, I suppose - although proving that the pedestrian in question HADN'T hit the "Pause" button as s/he stepped off of the curb and restarted the music upon reaching the other side could be difficult...

Wouldn't it just be easier to - oh, I'm just sort of tossing out a wacky idea, here - but wouldn't it be easier to simply fine people who cross against the lights or don't even use the crosswalk - we could call it something catchy like "Jaywalking"! Ohh...! Or maybe we could have the Police issue citations and fines to drivers who fail to yield the right of way to a pedestrian who is legally in a crosswalk.

Do you think that maybe actually enforcing either or both of those might do the job without adding any new laws onto the books?

Hmmm...?

Yours, EVER so sincerely

Mike Moyle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home