Monday, April 23, 2007

More Out-And-About oddities...

Just a few more oddments that I have spotted while on my various perambulations...

For instance - I saw this walking to the office one morning last week.

Recycling

I'm not sure, but I have to assume that either our street cleaners just want to eliminate the middleman, or they're making an editorial comment on our local newspaper; I'm not sure which.

Of course, things show up when I'm going home as well - such as this slightly schizoid dining establishment.

SchizoDiner

Not that we are alone, in Our Little Town(tm), in the production of things that might nake one go "Hah?"

Oh, no.

Last Saturday, I was on my semi-regular trek into Boston to run errands that I can't do out here in Sector R, when I passed aone of the new bloody expensive residences rising on the edge of Chinatown.

Archstone

Now we are all, I assume, familiar with the tendency to name a mall, housing development, office building, etc., for whatever was filled in, bulldozed over, or chased out in order to erect the said edifice: "Fox Run", "Pheasant Lane" "Piney Dells", ad infinitum. Since this is on the edge of Chinatown where the Combat Zone used to be, it probably should have been called something like "Strippers' Runways" or "The Drunks", but instead they named it Archstone.

Which would be fine, and wouldn't bother me in the least... IF THEY HAD ACTUALLY USED A FRICKIN' ARCH ANYWHERE IN THE FERSHLGGINER BUILDING!

At BEST it should be called "Lintelstone"... or maybr "LintelVeneer" since, it is after all, a curtain wall hanging on a steel-beam substructure.

...But Archstone is Right Out. (And before anyone says anything - it's at least half-a-dozen blocks away from Arch Street, so it's not named for its location...!)

I dunno...

...Is it just me...?

2 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger amysue said...

Yes.
It's just you.
The rest of us lead carefree, untroubled lives.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger RG said...

no accounting for naming conventios.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home